In 2014 the Indian government introduced an electronic travel authorization, which allows citizens of 166 countries to apply for and obtain an Indian eVisa.
This system affords these travelers the convenience of filling out the visa application online, submitting the necessary documents and receiving their eVisa electronically in a few days’ time.
Austrian citizens can apply for one of several types of Indian eVisas depending on the purpose of their intended trip to the country.
To participate in tourism-related activities, spiritual retreats or visiting friends and family in India, Austrian travelers can apply for an Indian eTourist visa. If the purpose of the visit is to engage in business activities, then an Indian eBusiness visa is more appropriate.
Furthermore, travelers can also apply for an Indian eMedical visa if the purpose of the visit is to engage in medical tourism during their visit to the country.
In any of these cases, Austrians must carefully consider their travel needs before applying for an Indian eVisa, as each visa type has its own set of eligibility requirements that travelers will have to meet.
Do Austrian Citizens Need an eVisa for India?
The Indian government requires all foreign nationals visiting India to obtain a visa prior to their arrival in the country. Therefore, Austrian travelers are required to obtain an Indian eVisa online or through a local Indian embassy or consulate.
If the traveler chooses to apply for an Indian eVisa, he/she will need to fulfill the following basic requirements:
- Having a valid email address
- Having a valid debit or credit card
- Having a valid passport
Required Documents for Getting the Indian eVisa for Austrian Citizens
There are certain eligibility requirements as well that travelers from Austria will have to meet before beginning the application process for the Indian eVisa. They are as follows:
- Having a passport with a validity of at least 6 months from the date of the traveler’s arrival in India
- Having at least 2 blank pages on the passport where entry and exit stamps can be placed
- Each individual applying for an Indian eVisa must have his/her own passport regardless of their age
- Each child traveling with a parent to India will need to have his/her own passport and a separate eVisa application form completed for them.
- Holders of diplomatic passports, as well as those with International Travel Documents, are not eligible to apply for an Indian eVisa
- The Indian eTourist travel permit cannot be converted to another visa type
- The India electronic tourist visa cannot be extended beyond the maximum allowable length of stay in the country
- The Indian online tourist visa is valid for a stay of 90 consecutive days in the country
- Traveler can only apply for the Indian e-Tourist visa up to 2 times within a given year
- Travelers must have a return ticket or a ticket of onward traveler while applying for an Indian eTourist visa
- If approved, travelers will need to carry a copy of the Indian eTourist visa at all times during their stay in India
With the Indian eTourist visas, travelers are only allowed to enter India from one of 28 designated airports and 5 seaports around the country. Travelers can choose any of the Authorized Immigration Check Posts for their departure from India.
If travelers from Austria are planning to arrive in India by land or sea, they will have to obtain an Indian visa from a local Indian Embassy or Consulate before their arrival in the country.
How Long Does It Take to Get an eVisa for India From Austria?
Travelers are encouraged to apply for their Indian eTourist visa ahead of time so that any delays in processing will not impact their travel plans. Applicants should also note that it can take up to 4 business days for the Indian eTourist visa application to be processed.
In some cases, Austrians are expected to provide additional evidence supporting the information provided by them in the form. This evidence can be in the form of a scanned copy of the biographical page of the traveler’s passport or a recent color photograph of the traveler.
The Indian government requires that photos of applicants must adhere to certain basic specifications, such as:
- The person’s face must be centered
- The person’s face is clearly visible from the crown to the tip of the chin
- The photo is not blurred out and is in focus
Apply for An Indian eVisa from Austria
In order to apply for the Indian eTourist visa, citizens of Austria will have to access the Indian Online eVisa website and begin filling out the online application form.
This form will ask the travelers to list certain personal, professional, educational, travel and passport details. Travelers will also be expected to answer some security questions to determine any risk factors.
Furthermore, travelers will be required to pay a fee associated with the processing of their Indian eTourist visa application. This fee can be paid through a valid debit/credit card.
To avoid delays in the processing time of the traveler’s eVisa application and to minimize the possibility of a visa denial, travelers must ensure that the information they provide on the eVisa application form is accurate. The information should also match the information shown on the applicant’s passport.
Travelers will be able to review the information entered on the form before submitting the application. Once the application is submitted, the traveler’s eVisa will arrive within 4 business days via email.Apply for eVisa now
A printed copy of the eTourist visa should be taken to the airport to be presented along with the traveler’s passport to Indian Immigration and Border Control officials.
The information on the eVisa and the passport will be verified by the Indian authorities and the traveler’s fingerprints, and the photograph will be taken at the airport.
Once the traveler has been cleared to enter India, an entry sticker will be placed on the traveler’s passport which allows them to enter the country.