Do Canadian Passport Holders Need a Visa for India?
Any Canadian citizen looking to travel to India must first obtain an Indian visa from Canada to be allowed entry into the country. Since India no longer provides a visa on arrival to Canadians, the fastest and easiest way for them to get an Indian visa is to apply for an eVisa. The whole application process is 100% online and eliminates the need to take a trip to the Indian embassy. All correspondence is done via the internet, which saves money and time.
The India eVisa option is ideal for the following:
- Canadian citizens that are looking to take a short trip to India, be it for tourism, business, or medical reasons
- Anyone looking to get a visa urgently, (you can apply a minimum of 4 days before your departure). However, the validity of the visa, once in India, will be short term
The duration of an India eVisa is for stays of up to 180 days, and it is non-extendable. Once the visa is granted, you will have a window of 120 days in which to travel to India.
What Documents Do Canadians Need to Get an Indian Visa?
Before applying for an eVisa, it is important to become familiar with the Indian visa requirements for Canadian citizens. There are certain documents that applicants will be required to submit along with their online application.
While everything will be submitted online, the whole application package includes the following:
- A completed an India eVisa application. Within the application, you will be required to provide personal, professional, and education details. You will also need to provide information regarding your travel history
- A colored scanned copy of your passport; the first and last page
- A passport-sized photograph in JPEG format. The background on the photo must be white
Applicants will also be required to pay the application fee online. If the application isn’t filled out properly or the documents are not provided with the necessary specifications requested, there is a good chance that the visa will be rejected. Therefore, it is important you follow the guidelines provided by the embassy.
How Long Does It Take to Get an Indian Visa from Canada?
The processing timeframe for an Indian tourist visa for Canadians is roughly 2 business days. Hence, the embassy requests individuals applying for the visa to do so at least 4 days before they are set to depart. This way you will have your eVisa in time for your flight. All correspondence is done through the internet so once the decision of your visa is made, you will receive an email from the embassy. The eVisa can then be downloaded, printed, and taken with you to the airport on the day of your flight. It is also recommended that you have the visa document with you at all times during your stay.
During a calendar year, Canadian citizens will be granted an eVisa twice and no more. With an eVisa, you are required to enter India from any of the 28 specified airports which include: Chennai, Bangalore, Kochin, Hyderabad, Dehli, Goa, Thiruvananthapuram, Mumbai, and Kolkata.
How Can Canadian Citizens Apply for an Indian Visa?
There are two options for applying for an Indian visa for Canadian citizens. These are:
- eVisa agents: The faster and easier option. The whole application process is online and can be done from the comfort of your living room. There are eVisa processing agents that have simplified the online application process. They also ensure that all your documents meet the specifications set by the embassy so there is little to no chance of rejection.
- eVisa official website: You can apply directly on the Indian government website. Individuals will find that the application process is lengthier and there is no cross-checking of the documents to ensure they are in order. Therefore, there is a chance of rejection if your documents are not in order.